Turmeric is an amazing herb. The healthy benefits go on an on. MD Anderson Cancer & Research Center in Houston, Texas recommends Turmeric (and Kale) to patients and non-patients because of it’s high anti-carcinogenic properties. Yes, folks – one of the top cancer centers recommends the consumption of Turmeric!
One way to add Turmeric to your diet is by drinking Golden Milk aka Super Hero Serum. I feel amazing when I consistently drink this!
There are many recipes out there for this drink. My version is quick, easy, and tasty! I usually drink this before bed, but the ginger, black pepper and cinnamon can be stimulating so if you have trouble sleeping save this drink for earlier in the day unless you choose to opt out of the ginger and cinnamon at bedtime. I also drink it in the morning and add some coffee to it before putting it in a blender (full size or single serving size blender)
The Ingredients: (Preferably Organic)
- 1/2-1 teaspoon Turmeric Powder
- 1/2-1 teaspoon Black Pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon Cardamom Powder
- 1/8 teaspoon Coriander Powder
- 1/8 teaspoon Ginger Powder
- 1/8 teaspoon Cinnamon Powder
- 1 Tablespoon Coconut Oil
- 8-12 ounces Vanilla Almond Milk (or coconut milk)
- Place coconut oil in pan and melt over medium heat. Place spices oil and heat til sizzling and aromatic. Pour just enough milk over to be able to make a roux with a fork or whisk. (This is similar to making a roux for gumbo or a flour roux like when making gravy – basically a paste)
- On Medium heat slowly add the remaining milk, stirring or whisking constantly, to fully incorporate the spices.
- Heat through – Do Not Boil.
- Either pour into a cup and drink OR put into a blender and blend until frothy and creamy. (This is my favorite way to make this as the coconut milk emulsifies in the liquid and it makes a wonderful creamy drink.)
Tips & Hints:
- Heat to the relative temperature that you’d have hot chocolate – easy to sip yet with comforting warmth
- Start off with 1/2 teaspoon Turmeric if you aren’t used to its flavor. As you acclimate, increase to 1 teaspoon or beyond.
- Feel free to change the proportions of the spices to add more to your taste. If you increase exponentially add more milk. I usually don’t even measure the spices but just pour some in.
- If you use Vanilla Almond Milk, this drink will be sweet. If you use plain or original, add a bit of honey or coconut sugar.