Writing out your blessings can be a powerful thing and, for those who are more visually inclined, putting those written blessings on display to view can make the experience even more powerful. Why not add a Blessing Tree to your Blessing Altar? I used dried magnolia leaves and gift card tags to add written blessings to twigs I got on clearance at Family Dollar. You could also use sticks and twigs from your yard or a small tree. You could also make your tree a garland instead and string your blessings up to hang on the wall. There are so many options for how you can visually see your written blessings on a daily basis. Both writing and seeing your blessings cultivate daily gratitude.
And remember, you are writing blessings for all events, circumstances, and people in your life. Here are some examples of blessings on my tree that show how you can cultivate gratitude in all ways and all things:
- I am grateful for a low bank account because it teaches me to be financially aware.
- I am grateful for lack because it teaches me I am not living in my abundance.
- I am blessed by Mitch because he mirrors what I don’t like in myself.
- I am grateful for my childhood because through it I learned to overcome and have been able to help others.
- I am grateful for Crystal because through the ebb and flow of our friendship I have learned I am not in competition with anyone.
Use magnolia leaves, or similar, for your longer blessings.
(I use a metallic marker to write blessings)
Use smaller bay leaves to write blessings that you like that can be portrayed in one or two words.
Use gift tags to add the names of people you’ve been blessed by – remembering that even those we believe have hurt us also brought us blessings. Use the back of the card to write how you were blessed.
You can also use the tags to write about how certain emotions or behaviors brought you blessings, like looking at how noticing resentments offers you a chance to practice forgiveness and acceptance.
I will add blessings to my tree throughout the month until I put my Yule tree up. Then, I’ll transfer my Blessing Tree branches and blessings to the Yule tree.
More Blessings posts to come – if you want to see these posts in your inbox subscribe!